Friday 7 October 2022

On working with, and after, Chris Goode

by Paul Paschal

AUDIO VERSION HERE 


I worked with Chris Goode as part of Ponyboy Curtis from 2015-16, in developing and presenting two shows at the Yard Theatre (At the Yard in May 2015, and FCKSYSTMS in June 2016).

These semi-improvised works were unusual for their high degree of nudity and unsimulated sexual content, but more conventional in their disappointments. Ponyboy Curtis was presented as collective: a sexual-political-artistic experiment towards a different model of sexual permissiveness and masculine intimacy. Yet Chris, as initiator of the project and in his role of director-author, tightly held onto the reins: writing the copy, handling communications with the venue and press, designing the work’s frames of composition and improvisation, etc. Chris was significantly more established within the theatre industry than any of the other members, who stuck to their roles as performers. As far as I can remember, Chris responded to many challenges to his authority by wielding his sense of pain: his poor mental health, the struggles of being a freelance artist, his feeling of being undervalued by the theatre industry to which he had devoted his life, and his social and political alienation from wider society as a queer anarchist.

Chris would gradually exert more and more authorial control across the making of each show. Having seen this process take place twice, after having repeatedly expressed dissatisfaction, I gave up hope that things might change. I was frustrated by my lack of agency within performances that sought to convince the audience of the spontaneity and self-determination of my actions and desire. I was furious that Chris was seemingly indifferent to the frustrations that I and others were clearly feeling; and humiliated that I had been foolish enough to go along with this for so long.

***

From the start, it was explicitly clear that Ponyboy Curtis would involve significant nudity and sexual content. Rehearsals frequently involved group discussion about the erotic quality of materials with which we were working. However, Chris was clearly keen for the performances to have a greater degree of explicit sexual contact than would regularly arise from improvisation. My prevailing memories of the sexual activity I experienced throughout this work are of it being fleeting and non-penetrative; anything sustained or more ‘heavy’ felt clumsy, dry and a bit forced.

I would not describe my experience of Ponyboy Curtis as ‘abusive’; but it was a process of ‘grooming’. Chris was establishing a set of expectations and power relations. Select performers would be invited into more intimate rehearsal processes (as part of, alongside, and in the promise of work with more significant institutional backing), in which I understand Chris to have been sexually violent.

As with much experimental performance in the UK, the work of Ponyboy Curtis was mostly un-/under-paid. My participation was fuelled by an interest in working with Chris, a lauded artist; and from my ambition to develop my own profile in the same field. Despite my frustrations, I held on to this process for as long as I did due to the excitement of having a sense of belonging in this scene, and the promise of further work.

The explicitly sexual frame of Ponyboy Curtis throws these power relations into dramatic relief, but most of the dynamics of this work are widespread across the chronically-underfunded sector of UK performance. The precarity of performers (dancers, actors, etc) encourages them to continually seek favour from ‘lead artists’ (directors, choreographers, etc). These freelance artists in turn are significantly disempowered in their relationships with funders and institutional staff, and accrue the support needed to make their work (funding, rehearsal space, performance ‘opportunities’) across a number of organisations. As such – and for better or worse – the majority of the work in this field is developed at a distance from any individual organisation that is involved in its commissioning or presentation. Therefore, the processes of making that work falls outside of those organisations’ sense of responsibility or (as far as I understand) legal liability.

The underfunded nature of the sector means there is little time to undertake the slow work of thinking, reflection and listening (although it is not clear that this takes place in more robustly funded contexts). There is little willingness or capacity to seriously consider risk, or address harm when it arises. Given the fleeting and relatively siloed nature of these artist-led projects, there is little recourse to processes of conflict resolution or workplace protections that might be available within more formalised organisation. Individuals, like me, get pissed off and drop out; or (if there is enough sustained noise to make malpractice unignorable) individuals, like Chris, are quietly avoided or collectively shunned as a ‘lone monster’. The wider conditions that enable this harm persist.

***

In early 2017, a few months after I left the ‘collective’, I approached Chris for a one-on-one conversation to address my departure and reflect on the work more broadly. I was disappointed at his lack of remorse, and refusal to take any responsibility for the growing number of people acrimoniously leaving his practices.

Chris Goode & Company – the small-scale organisation that administered and produced much of Chris’ work – had been comparatively dormant during the years of Ponyboy Curtis, but secured regular funding from 2018 as one of Arts Council England’s National Portfolio Organisations. A few months previously, a former member of Ponyboy Curtis published a text that alluded to their experience of abuse as part of this work. In 2018 CG&C commissioned an investigative report into Chris’s practices. Once this report had been ‘published’ (shared with those anonymous individuals who had agreed to be interviewed), I met with other former collaborators to discuss its findings and recommendations. We co-wrote emails to the company to ask for clarity on its statements, and then again later to ensure it was upholding the safeguarding protocols it had promised to implement. Rather than relying on Chris’ personal sense of remorse, I looked to the organisational infrastructure that surrounded and enabled his work to ensure safe working practices.

In 2019, CG&C announced it was presenting Narcolepsy, a solo performance written and performed by Chris, at the Edinburgh Fringe. This felt fine. It was important to me that Chris was able to continue his practice as an artist; and any solo show would automatically adhere to the safeguarding commitments, given that they primarily addressed how he worked with performers. However, the company made an announcement on social media, to invite young queer artists to share free accommodation with Chris for the duration of the festival. This offer profoundly contradicted the spirit of the statements and promises the company had previously made. Following private correspondence to query this decision, the senior producer at CG&C resigned. Now lacking administrative capacity, the company cancelled its performances at the Fringe. At this point, the company was composed of Chris, one part-time member of administrative staff, and an incomplete board of trustees. I decided to pull back until they had a chance to rehire, such that dialogue with the organisation would not be limited to engaging with Chris as an individual.

In early 2021, Chris Goode & Company had resumed public activity. In early June, by the time that some of us had begun to gather together to rekindle these conversations, Chris had killed himself. (HIs death was announced here.)

***

The revelation of Chris’ paedophilia (announced here), following his death, significantly complicates any telling of this history.

Perhaps more than any other, the figure of the paedophile in the UK is invoked to incite extreme moral revulsion. Paedophiles are demonised: rendered an extraordinary and exceptional monster that is uniformly malevolent and undeserving of any compassion. This is woven into the moral regard of queer men, whose acceptability is often implicitly or explicitly bound up in this rejection of the paedophile. Think of the mother’s speech in the coming out scene in Jack Rooke’s Big Boys: “We don’t care…. As long as you’re happy and healthy, and not a nonce, that’s all that matters.”

This makes it very hard to talk about Chris without conflating many different things: his active participation in the sexual abuse of children; his physical and sexual violence toward certain collaborators; his exploitative relationship to younger artists; and many of his other behaviours (his weaponising of his wounded-ness, his need to maintain control, his prioritisation of his understanding of himself as a ‘good person’ over acknowledging anothers pain) that might be questionable, yet of which most people, including myself, are culpable. All these things dynamically and complexly played out in the same person; but they are different kinds of moral claims, that demand different kinds of action from others.

When reflecting on Chris’ practices, I want to be careful about what is being understood as sitting within or beyond the tolerable realms of everyday conflict and interpersonal failing. I stand in full solidarity with those who use the language of ‘abuse’ to describe their experiences of working with him. But I find it urgent to specify what kinds of experiences and behaviours we are classifying as such. The majority of my experiences of Ponyboy Curtis – the complex social dynamics, the compulsion to please the director/choreographer, the performance of ‘agency’ while adhering to the lead artist’s vision – are common to many working practices across theatre, dance and visual arts in the UK. To wholly condemn everything that Chris Goode did in his rehearsal rooms as abusive, implies the same for the majority of the sector. This seems neither true, nor particularly useful to any serious effort to identify and address the widespread harms that pervade the arts.

To speak of my own experience: I came to London in my early 20s, having grown up in Catholic Ireland in the ‘90s and early ‘00s, with a profound and inarticulate hunger for queer mentorship and belonging. I was desperate to encounter examples of gay life, politics, and artistic practice. Ponyboy Curtis and Chris Goode were what I found. Since Chris’ death, I have begun to appreciate how profoundly the breakdown of my relationship with him affected me in the years after. When I quit Ponyboy Curtis, I felt compelled to leave London, to separate myself from the wider artistic milieu within which I had tried to situate myself, and carried with me a profound distrust of gay men in roles of power. But the pain I had felt was as much to do with the tremendous vulnerabilities I had carried into that work, as it was Chris’ own lack of compassion. I had neither been able to account for this vulnerability to Chris nor myself; and ultimately, I believe it to have exceeded his responsibility for care. I do not believe that that trauma I experienced in relation to this work (and to be clear, I am speaking solely about my own experience here) in itself to constitute or evidence abuse.

All workers deserve safe working conditions. There will always be an unregulated field of grassroots performance-making that takes place outside of (and at times in resistance to) organisational structures – and on which these organisations will depend. But resources can be developed to which these independent practitioners can avail themselves: template working agreements, guidance documents, helplines, toolkits for addressing conflict, and funds designed to be more easily accessible to individuals and collectives. Organisations can set help set standards of practice across the freelance sector by being more transparent in addressing their own histories of abuse, and the structures they have put in place to mitigate harm. And rather than continual deference to (and by default, celebration of) the voices of lead/lone artists, our conversations should include and elevate the perspectives of collaborators, performers and administrative staff.

***

I remember the artist and thinker Rajni Shah once saying something along the lines of: “In performance, we talk so much about giving care to how processes and collaborations begin. But we rarely pay similar attention to how things end.”

I find Chris’ suicide tremendously sad. I wish that things could have unfolded in a way that hadn’t involved investigations, litigiousness, the police, and the complex pressures that led him to kill himself. I wish Chris had been more brave in listening to the people he had hurt.

For a long time, I craved an opportunity to gather with others who had been connected to Chris’ work, such that we could collectively make sense of our experiences. At the end of 2021, I was invited to participate in a series of conversations open to those who had taken part in Ponyboy Curtis. The conversations were complex, vulnerable, and transformative. They felt extraordinarily rare. They were expertly facilitated by ELOP, an LGBT+ mental health charity in London, which was made possible due to a generous donation from an anonymous individual. I left these conversations feeling utterly convinced of the urgency and beauty of reparative dialogue, and with an appreciation that such processes can often take place over far broader stretches of time than I had imagined. These things can’t be rushed, and don’t need to be rushed. The past is still tangibly unfolding in the present.

Many might feel a reasonable desire to tidy away this history. Chris’ practices can be casually dismissed as inherently compromised and dangerous; and we can question why we should give any more attention to someone who unrepentantly caused harm. The story is ripe to be appropriated by right-wing commentators seeking to attack queer experimental art. But I find myself drawn towards continued conversations and reflections. Chris was a revered artist within UK experimental theatre, and wrote extensively on the processes and ethics of performance-making. Like many others, I am inextricably influenced by his work. His practices were concerned with queer making, the intimacy of director-performers relations, and how queer people can hold compassionate spaces for each other within an otherwise inhospitable world. These are still urgent questions. We – those who worked with Chris, and were changed by this work – have the opportunity to determine the legacy of these practices. This legacy will take shape through how each of us uses our experience to inform how we move through and work within the world.

I came to Chris with a desire for queer belonging. He was my first gay male mentor. His work and thinking have profoundly shaped my artistic practice and sense of self. And so, instead of trying to banish him from my conversation and thoughts, I say: ok, come on Chris, haunt me. Let me take you as my queer ancestor, and this ongoing, unfolding situation as my inheritance.

With thanks to the many interlocutors over the past six years whose listening, challenge, thinking and care has made this text possible.

Paul Paschal, October 2022